Fishery Assessment Officer on Dundalk, Ireland
Dikampus.com – SAI Global, through its Fisheries centre of excellence in Dundalk, Ireland is a global leader in fisheries and aquaculture assessment and certification. Current fishery and aquaculture assessments and projects are in place across North America, Europe, Asia and Australia/New Zealand. SAI Global has over 60 operating offices throughout the world and services the certification needs of fisheries in all regions.
SAI Global Assurances, one of the world’s leading certification bodies has an excellent opportunity for a Fishery Assessment Officer with professional and applied experience in quantitative fish/shellfish stock assessment methods.
Reporting to the General Manager; this position entails at its very core the technical assessment of commercial fisheries and the production of certification reports.
- To conduct in depth analysis of survey and stock assessment activities/reports, ecosystem dynamics and fisheries effects.
- Analysis of the overall legal and regulatory management framework, bycatch avoidance methods and gear modifications, and observer and enforcement activities of commercial fisheries.
- Lead a team of professionals with expertise in various disciplines of fisheries assessment and management.
- Apply various fish stock assessment techniques and approaches to fishery management.
- Preparation of certification reports for fisheries under assessment.
Minimum Education/Professional Qualifications & Experience Required
- Ideally qualified to PhD or degree level in an appropriate fisheries, mathematical or biological discipline with at least 5 to 7 years of experience in professional fisheries stock assessment or other relevant discipline.
- Related experience and technical ability in fish biology, gear technology, fisheries-ecosystem interactions and legal frameworks for fisheries management will be advantageous.
- Leadership and management of teams working in the area of fishery science.
- A knowledge and understanding of international certification programmes would be an advantage.
- Experience and knowledge in the derivation and use of reference point and proxies in fisheries management (e.g. MSY, Fmsy, SSBcurr, MSST, OFL etc.)
- Proven and applied experience with mainstream stock assessment software such as AD Model Builder or other and statistical packages such as R, Primer or other.
- It is desirable for the candidate to have a sound knowledge and understanding of experimental survey designs (e.g. trawl, longline), biological sampling, large database analysis, age/size/sex structured assessment methods, or length/catch survey analysis, risk assessment methods and other models.
Location: Dundalk, Ireland
Application to: email@example.com
Deadline: 19 June 2015
Source : www.intrafish.com